We would like to invite you to discover the historic Andernach during our 3.5 km long city walking tour. Just stroll along the Rhine and experience the Rhenish hospitality in the historic city center. Additional information and information about recent events can be obtained at our office. We wish you a nice stay in Andernach.
Originally, "Läufkreuz“ was the Crucifix of the Burial Ground for wretched souls from the municipal
hospital which was dissolved in 1841. The larger than life, realistically designed corpus dates back to the second half of the 14th century.
2 Christuskirche (Church of Christ)
Christuskirche the town church of the protestant congregation and a former monastery of the Order of Friars Minor Conventual (franciscans). It is a gothic nave church with only one side aisle. The construction was started in 1245 and finnished around 1450. The church also used to serve as burial ground for the Rhenish nobility.
3 City Museum - Haus von der Leyen
The building was constructed in 1589/90 as a city palace of the nobleman Georg von der Leyen. Its facade with its detailed artistic design is especially compelling. Since 1936 it has been home to the city museum of Andernach.
4 Castle ruin and garden
The construction of the castle, which was was part of the electorate of Collogne, began around 1200. In 1689, during the War of the Palatine Succession ("Nine Years War"), it was destroyed by French troops. The original cannonballs, which have been stacked into a pyramid in front of the wall, stem from the Thirty Years' War.
5 Koblenzer Tor (Gate of Koblenz)
The Koblenzer Tor, which is also referred to as "Burgpforte" (castle gate), was built around 1200. It secured the castle and
served as a representative entrance to the city. However, it was also destroyed in 1689, during the War of the Palatine Succession. The Koblenzer Tor was refurbished in 2012.
6 Hospitalkirche (Hospital Church)
Hospitalkirche is the catholic house of prayer of the St. Nikolaus monastery hospital and the former church of the Annuntiation monastery. The late-baroque construction, which was built 1737-1739, impresses with its Bohemian dome vaults. The extensive ornamental painting shows, among other things, the founding of the religious order of the Annuntiates by Johanna von Valois.
7 Bollwerk (bastion)
From 1659 to 1661 the "Bollwerk" was built as a customs bastion on the Rhine River for the sovereign of the electorate of Collogne. Today, the construction is a memorial for the soldiers who died in both world wars.
8 Rheintor (Rhine Gate)
"Rheintor" is the representative entrance to the city for everyone who approaches Andernach coming up from the Rhine River. It is one of the oldest double gate constructions to be found along the Rhine River. The part which faces the city was errected around 1200. The larger than life roman tuff figures in the atrium are referred to as "Andernacher Bäckerjungen" (based on the legend of the baker boys).
9 Alter Krahnen (old crane)
The old crane is a stone-/turning tower crane with two blade wheels, which used to be moved by crane workers. It was built between 1554 and 1561, in place of a swimming crane. It was used until 1911, mainly to load millstones, tuff and wine.
10 Runder Turm (round tower)
The round tower was built between 1440 and 1453. It is 56 meters tall. The round tower is one of the symbols of the city and a testimonial of self confidence of the people of Andernach. It withstood a French attempt to blow it up in 1689. A hole in the west side of the tower reminds us of this historic incident.
11 Mariendom (Cathedral of Maria)
Mariendom, also refered to as Liebfrauenkirche, is a catholic parish church. It was built around 1200 as a roman galleried basilica with three aisles. The interior and the ornamental paintings of Mariendom are remarkable.
12 Helmwartsturm (Helmwarts Tower)
Helmwartsturm is part of a medieval town fortification and was renovated in 1994. Close to the tower there are wooden constructions, which resemble the battlement and stretch across the passage to the market square of Andernach.
13 Historisches Rathaus (old townhall)
The old townhall was built between 1561 and 1574. Today, it is the seat of the political factions of Andernach and it has a large conference hall. Under the conference hall, there is a medieval Mikveh, a traditional Jewsih ritual bath. The water level of the bath rises and falls with the level of the Rhine River. Moreover, the old townhall is home to the public library.
14 Geysir Erlebniszentrum (Geyser Discovery Center)
The modern building is an interactive museum, which hosts an all year exhibition on the coldwater geyser. Physiological and geological reasons for the natural phenomenon are are explained in an easily comprehensible way. The tourist information of Andernach is located on the first floor of the building.